These 5th grade science lesson plans consists of all the lesson plans that were written for the 5th grade science core taken from the State Science Teacher Resource Book and from the Elementary CORE Academies from 2002 through 2010. Some of them are ones that I have written to fill in some gaps. Others lessons and resources will be added as time goes on. If you have a particular lesson or resource that you want to share for this webpage, please contact me. If you have questions on a certain lesson plan, please contact me at email@example.com.
These lesson plans are here to help you teach science where you won't need to search. When all the lesson plans are taught, you will have mostly covered all the objectives and indicators for each standard. They are generally in the order each standard is presented. If you use them and you see mistakes in the writing, content, or something is not coming through, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will fix them. Feedback is welcome.
Standard I: Chemical and Physical Change in Matter--Students will understand that chemical and physical changes in matter.
Objective 1 Lesson Plans--Describe that matter is neither created nor destroyed even though it may undergo change.
- Dissolving Salt
- Sum of the Parts I
- Melting and Freezing
- Sum of the Parts II
- What a Reaction
- Borax and Glue
Objective 2 Lesson Plans--Evaluate evidence that indicates a physical change has occurred.
Objective 3 Lesson Plans--Investigate evidence for changes in matter that occur during a chemical change.
- Chemical Change
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Soda Experiment
- Science Detectives
- Comparing Physical and Chemical Change
- The Heat is On
- Fun With Dry Ice (Parts I and II)
- Boot Reer, Root Beer
- Hidden Science in Colonial Living
Resources for Standard I
Standard 2: Forces that Reshape Earth's Surface--Students will understand that volcanoes, earthquakes, uplift, and weathering, and erosion reshape Earth's surface.
Objective 1 Lesson Plans--Describe how weathering and erosion change Earth's surface.
- Weathering and Erosion
- Where Has My Mountain Gone
- Weathering Landforms
- Virtual Field Trip
- Weathering Lesson Plans
- Erosion Lesson Plans
Objective 2 Lesson Plans--Explain how volcanoes, earthquakes, and uplift affect Earth's surface.
Objective 3 Lesson Plans--Relate the building up and breaking down of Earth's surface over time to the various physical land features.
- Physical Land Features
- Utah's Geological History
- Researching Relief Maps
- Geological Process
- Understanding Geological Time
- Utah's Geological History and Its Effects
Resources for Standard II
- Changing Earth Standard II and ILOs
- Changing Earth Shared Reading
- Changing Earth Tests
- Changing Earth YouTube Videos
- Weathering and Erosion Youtube Videos
Standard 3: Magnets and Magnetic Fields--Students will understand that magnetism can be observed when there is an interaction between the magnetic fields of magnets or between a magnet and materials made of iron.
Objective 1 Lesson Plans--Investigate and compare the behavior of magnetism using magnets.
- Experimenting With Magnets
- Push and Pull of Magnets
- Investigating Behaviors of Magnets
- How Many How Far How Thick
- Fun with Electromagnets
- Electricity and Magnets
- Building Electromagnets and Simple Motors
- Make a Shaker-Generator
Objective 2 Lesson Plans--Describe how the magnetic field of Earth and a magnet are similar.
- Discovering Magnetic Fields
- Finding Magnetic Fields of Earth
- Making a Magnet Compass
- Magnets in a Bag
- Magnetic Hangman
- Where's Up?
- Magnetic Fields of Magnets
- Magnet Exploration Booklet
- Magnet Exploration Booklet Answers
- Magnet Literacy
Resources for Standard III
- Magnetism Standard III and ILOs
- Magnetism Shared Reading
- Magnetism Tests
- Magnetism Youtube Videos
- Online Learning Fun With Physics
Standard 4: Static and Current Electricity--Students will understand features of static and current electricity.
Objective 1 Lesson Plans--Describe the behavior of static electricity as observed in nature and everyday occurrences.
- Static Cling
- Will It Hold a Charge?
- Stuck on You
- The Electrophorus and Static Discharge
- Static Electricity Data Sheet
Objective 2 Lesson Plans--Analyze the behavior of current electricity.
Resources for Standard IV
- Electricity Standard IV ILOs
- Electricity Shared Reading
- Electricity Tests
- Electricity Youtube Videos
- Online Learning Fun With Physics
Standard 5: Inherited Traits--Students will understand that traits are passed from the parent organisms to their offspring, and that sometimes the offspring may possess variations of these traits that may help or hinder survival in a given environment.
Objective 1 Lesson Plans--Using supporting evidence, show that traits are transferred from parent organism to its offspring.
- Comparing Apples
- Paint's Family Tree
- The Living Corn Necklace
- Observing Mealworms and Earthworms (TRB Edition)
- Observing Mealworms and Earthworms (Elem CORE Academy Edition)
- Twins--Comparing Behaviors: Instinct vs. Learned Behavior
Objective 2 Lesson Plans--Describe how some characteristics could give a species a survival advantage in a particular environment.
- Specialize Structures and Environments
- Bird Buffet
- I Will Survive
- The Planet Wakyabi
- Trait Variations for Survival
- Animal Adaptations--Snowshoe Hare/Cottontail Rabbit